Every summer, a team of Solèy Haiti volunteers travel to Gros-Morne to spend 4 weeks working with local Haitians on facilitating the Sports and Social Camps, and on the construction of houses for families without appropriate housing. Gros-Morne is a rural town in northwest Haiti, with a population of approximately 35,000.
Solèy Haiti’s local partner, the Religious of Jesus and Mary (RJM), have been based in Gros-Morne for over 20 years, and have developed meaningful relationships with community leaders and the community at large.
Solèy Haiti works closely with RJM and the local community leaders in the design and implementation of all projects to ensure that each project is meeting a real need within the community.
The participation fee for the programme is €2,800, and includes a non-refundable deposit of €400.
The fee covers the cost of: flights, accommodation, insurance, training costs, as well as a contribution towards the running costs of the projects. Visas and any other personal costs, such as mosquito repellent, that may be incurred by volunteers are not included in the fundraising amount.
Raising this amount of money may appear daunting, but it is manageable and Solèy Haiti offers comprehensive support including fundraising mentors, on-going support and advice.
Volunteers can personally contribute to the €2,800 but are strongly encouraged to organise fundraising events to help reach this minimum target.
A typical day on the volunteer programme involves:
- Getting up at 6.30am to prepare for the day at camp, which begins at 8am.
- Each volunteer has their own class of approximately 30 children, and works with two Haitian camp counsellors to organise three activities a day for their class, which start once the children have eaten breakfast.
- Typical activities include arts & crafts, sports, singing and dancing, as well as basic English and maths classes.
- Once all the children, volunteers and camp counsellors have had lunch, there will be a short break before the volunteers make their way to the construction site where they will work with skilled Haitian labourers for approximately two hours.
- The volunteers then return to the accommodation centre to relax and prepare for the next day.
If you are interested in volunteering with Solèy Haiti, follow the link on the right of this page to our application form.